- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup of sugar (superfine sugar seems to work best but is not necessary)
- 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract
- Green food coloring (I used about 15 drops)
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees F. Prepare 2 backing sheets that are covered in silicon mats or parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg whites on medium speed until it becomes frothy (picture above).
- Add in the cream of tartar and continue to whisk on medium-high speed until soft peaks for (picture of soft peaks above).
- tablespoon at a time, add in the sugar until it’s all mixed in. Add in the food coloring until you achieve your desired color.
- Continue to beat until stiff peaks form. There should be no droop in the peak at all. This could take upwards of 10 minutes. (picture above)
- Add the egg white mixture into a plastic baggy or piping bag that’s fixed with a star piping tip. Pipe the egg white mixture in a circular motion getting smaller as you go up. Mine were all about an inch and a half in diameter.
- Bake meringues for 80-90 minutes. I’ve found that they’re perfectly done when they JUST begin to brown on the bottom. Turn the oven off. Leaving the meringues in the oven, prop open the oven door and leave them until they’re completely cooked off.