Nourishing Moroccan Chickpea Soupis flavorful, filling and easy to make with an array of veggies, chickpeas and warm spices. This delicious soup can be ready to serve in less than 30 minutes and is the perfect plant-based dinner that the whole family will enjoy.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons of maple syrup
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 2 15–ounce cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 pound of baby red potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 15–ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 cup of freshly chopped herbs (I used a mixture of parsley and mint)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add in the onion, maple syrup, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the onion becomes translucent.
- Stir in the garlic and spices and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in the chickpeas, zucchini, potatoes, tomatoes (including their juices), and broth. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring a few times, for 20 minutes or until the potatoes begin to soften.
- To make the soup a bit creamier, mash some of the potatoes pieces against the side of the pan and stir in.
- Before serving, mix in the herbs and season to taste with salt and pepper. ENJOY!
- Storing leftovers: Place leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
- To freeze: Let the soup completely cool and then transfer it to a freezer-safe container (or multiple containers for meal prep purposes). Freeze for up to 2 months.
- To reheat: Let the soup thaw in the refrigerator, then heat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: moroccan
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 331
- Sugar: 9.1 g
- Sodium: 1416.7 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 51.1 g
- Protein: 13.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: moroccan soup, chickpea soup