- 4 cups of veggie stock or broth
- 2 tablespoons of vegan butter
- 1/2 of a medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups of baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 5 sprigs of fresh thyme, de-stemmed
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups of risotto rice
- 2/3 cup of white wine
- heaping cup of peas (can be frozen), I used fresh english peas
- 1/4 cup of almond milk
- extra s&p to taste
- In a medium saucepan, heat the stock so that its just warmed through and at a VERY minimal simmer. Keep on the heat until needed.
- In a large pot, heat the butter until just melted and then add in the onion, mushrooms, and thyme and cook until the onion is just translucent which is about 8 minutes. At 5 minutes, add in garlic, salt, and pepper
- Turning up the heat a bit, add in the risotto rice and let cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently to let the rice get to the point that it’s almost frying and the rice becomes a bit translucent. (this might seem strange but go with it…it gives the rice a nice bite)
- Add in the wine and stir to combine. Turn the heat back down to a gentle simmer.
- Add in JUST ONE ladle full of the stock and a pinch of salt. Stir to combine and let simmer until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Repeat this until all of the stock has been added being careful to not add more stock until the previous ladle-full has been almost completely absorbed.
- When you add in your last ladle full of stock, stir in the peas and the almond milk. You can add a bit more or less if desired. The milk simple gives it a bit more creaminess.
- You can cook the risotto so that most/ all of the liquid has been absorbed OR you can stop cooking the risotto so that there’s a decent amount of liquid remaining. I cook most of the liquid out of mine.
- Once done, take off of the heat, let cool just slightly, and ENJOY!!
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian