- 1 block of EXTRA FIRM tofu (I do not recommend doing this with any other type of tofu)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- extra spices of choice**
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Take the tofu out of the packaging and discard the liquid. Cut the tofu lengthwise (see video for reference) so that you now have 2 thinner blocks. Place those blocks on a large plate that is lined with either paper towels or a lint free towel. Cover the top of the tofu with more paper towels/ a kitchen towel and place a skillet on top. Then place a few heavy objects inside of the skillet to weigh down the tofu and help squeeze out as much of the liquid as possible. Let sit for at least 15 minutes but preferably 30 minutes.
- Remove the skillet and cut the tofu into bite sized pieces. I have tried this with small pieces and rather large chunks and they all work great! So cut them according to your liking.
- Place the tofu in a large bowl, drizzle with the olive oil, and sprinkle with the cornstarch, salt & pepper, as well as any other spices that you might be using. GENTLY toss the tofu to coat in the cornstarch and spices. It can break easily so be careful.
- Line the tofu on a large baking tray with a small bit of space between each piece. Baking for 15 minutes, flip the tofu over, and bake for an additional 15-25 minutes. It should be done after a total time fo 30 minutes BUT you can leave it in a bit longer if you want it even crispier or if you chunks are extra large.
- Let cool slightly and ENJOY! Super easy and SO tasty!
**I flavor mine based on what I’m eating it with. I put these in tacos after photographing them for this so I seasoned them with paprika and cumin. Pretty much any spices will work nicely though!