Rich and savory, these Portobello Burgers are going to be your new favorite vegan summer meal. This easy vegetarian grilling option is juicy, meaty and packed with SO much flavor that even the heartiest of meat eaters will love it.
- 4 large cleaned* portobello mushrooms stems removed
- 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of liquid smoke (optional but it adds a really nice smokey flavor)
- 2 teaspoons of italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 4 buns
- Toppings of choice: lettuce, onion, cheese, sauce, etc.
- If you haven’t already done so, start by preparing your mushrooms. Using a damp paper towel, gently wipe clean the mushrooms. I do not suggest running the mushrooms under water to clean them because they will absorb excess moisture. Remove the stems but firmly holding the mushroom in your palm and bending the stem to the side until it snaps off. You can also simply cut it out.
- In a large shallow container big enough to place all of the mushrooms flat, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, soy sauce, liquid smoke, italian seasoning, maple syrup, garlic powder, and black pepper. Add in the mushrooms and let them marinate for 15 minutes on each side. Every few minutes, I like to spoon the mixture over top of the mushrooms for maximum flavor.
- Once ready to grill, pre-heat your grill (or grill pan) to 400 degrees F. Lightly brush the grates with oil to prevent the mushrooms from sticking. Carefully place the mushrooms on the grill and grill for 4 minutes. Brush a bit of the marinade on the mushrooms, flip, and grill for an additional 3-4 minutes. As desired, you can brush a bit more of the marinade on at the end. The mushrooms are done when they’re a deep brown color and just starting to caramelize a bit around the edges.
- If using cheese, place 1 slice on each mushroom about 1 minute before they’re done grilling.
- Remove from the grill, place on your bun and top with your favorite burger toppings!
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mushroom burger, portobello mushroom burger, portobello burgers