- 1 medium onion, cut into long strips
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 pound of macaroni
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1/3 cup of goat cheese
- 1/3 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup of pumpkin puree
- 2 fresh sage leaves
- S&P to taste
- Saute the cut up onion in the olive oil for about 30 minutes stirring frequently and adding additional oil if needed.
- When the onions are nearly done, boil a large pot of water and cook pasta according to your desired doneness.
- While the pasta cooks, make the sauce. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Once fully melted, stir in the flour until fully combined and let cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly add in the milk, stirring, until the milk is fully incorporated and smooth. Let cook for 5 minutes or until the sauce is just thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Once done, take off of heat and immediately stir in the cheeses, stirring until the cheese is fully melted and fully incorporated. Set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the pumpkin puree, sage, and half of the sauteed onions. Pulse several times until fully combined.
- Placing the cheese mixture back over low heat, stir in the pumpkin mixture fully and let sit on the heat for a few additional minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the pasta is done, drain it and then pour back into the pan. Stir in the pumkin and cheese mixture until the noodles are fully coated with the sauce.
- Plate the macaroni immediately and serve with the remained of the sauteed onions.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes