This red wine chocolate cake is simple to make and so very delicious!
For the red wine cake:
- 1 1/2 cups of flour (220g)
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder (30g)
- 1 cup of sugar (198g)
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 cup of red wine*
- 1/4 cup of plant based milk
- 1/2 cup of neutral oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla (almond extract is also nice here)
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (regular vinegar works ok here too)
For the red wine berries:
- 1 6oz container of raspberries
- 3/4 cup of red wine*
- 3/4 cup of sugar
To make the cake:
- Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F and line a 9 inch cake pan with parchment paper. I like to use the parchment paper AND cooking spray to minimize sticking.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the wet ingredients: red wine, milk, oil, vanilla, and vinegar. Once combined, add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 30 minutes until fully set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool.
To make the berries:
- In a small pot, mix together the wine and sugar over medium heat and continue to stir until the sugar is fully dissolved. Bring to a gentle simmer and let cook on low for 5 minutes until it begins to thicken.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the berries. Place in the fridge to thicken even more for 20-30 minutes. This can also be done the night before.
- Serve the berries over top of the cake and ENJOY!
*a dry red wine works best such as Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: cake
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan chocolate cake, red wine cake, red wine dessert