- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter, cut into half inch chunks
- 2 cups of self-rising flour + more for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, grated (plus more for topping if desired)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of fresh Rosemary, finely chopped (plus more for topping if desired)
- 3/4 cup of cold buttermilk + a couple tablespoons more if needed
- Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees F and generously grease a baking sheet.
- Place the cut up pieces of butter in the freezer for about 15 minutes while you prepare the flour mixture.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, Parmesan, and rosemary.
- Once the butter is done in the freezer, pour it into the flour mixture and incorporate fully using a hand blender. If using a food processor, just processor for a few quick pulses.
- Place the whole bowl of flour + butter back into the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Flour a work surface and have extra flour nearby for your hands and dusting the dough.
- Once out of the freezer, make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour in the buttermilk. Using your hands or a wooden spoon, gently stir until the buttermilk is fully incorporated. You want the dough to be rather wet and sticky so add an additional tablespoon of buttermilk if needed.
- With floured hands, take the dough out of the bowl and place it on a floured surface. Knead gently a few times to bring it all together.
- Using your fingers (not a rolling pin) pat the dough out into a circle until it’s about 1/2 an inch thick. For thicker biscuits, you can pat it out to 3/4 inch thick if you desire.
- Using a 2 inch round biscuit cutter (or mason jar if you don’t have one), cut the biscuits out of the dough. Be careful not to twist your cutter. Just press down firmly and then release. Once you can cut no more out, roll the dough into a ball, pat it out again, and cut out more biscuits. Keep repeating this until all the dough is gone.
- Optional: dust the tops of the biscuits with a bit extra parmesan and a bit more rosemary.
- Place the biscuits on your baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and ENJOY!!