For the crust:
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 1 ½ tsp sugar + salt
- 7–9 tbs ice water
For the filling:
- 2 15-oz cans of pumpkin puree
- ⅔ cup of brown sugar
- ⅓ cup of maple syrup or agave
- 1 ¼ cup of milk (I tested this with plain almond milk AND coconut milk)
- 1 ½ teaspoon of vanilla
- 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup of cornstarch
- Lightly grease a 12 x 17 inch baking sheet and set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor*, combine the flour, salt, and sugar. Pulse a few times to combine.
- Add in the cold butter cubes and pulse a few more times so that the butter is roughly the size of peas.
- Add in the cold water, starting with just 4 tablespoons, and pulse 2 times. Add in 3 more and pulse a couple more times. Test out the dough by pressing some together between your fingers. If it holds together then it’s ready. If it’s still really crumbly then add in more water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Mine is always perfect with 7 total tablespoons but you may need a little more less. SEE VIDEO ABOVE FOR REFERENCE ON DONENESS.
- On a lightly floured surface, pour out the dough and work it so that’s it’s mostly pressed together. Tear off roughly 20% of the dough to be used separately and form form ball (large and small), into discs. Wrap the discs individually in plastic wrap and CHILL for 20 minutes or even overnight.
- When ready to use the dough, let it sit on the counter for a couple minutes to warm up a bit. Roll the dough out so that it will fit in your prepared pan with about 1/2 an inch hanging over the edges. Place it in your pan and place in the fridge while you make the filling.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a high speed blender or food processor, combine all of the pie ingredients and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Pour the pie filling into your crust (I do NOT pre-bake the crust in this recipe) and spread out until it’s smooth.
- Bake in the oven for45-50 minutes. The top should be firm and the crust should be lightly browned around the edges.
- Once done, take out of the oven and let cool on the counter. Put in the fridge and let cool completely. The cooling process really firms up the pie so although you’ll want to eat it right away, try and refrain :)
- Roll out the remaining 20 of dough to use as decoration. Cut out shapes as desired and bake for 7-10 minutes until lightly browned. Place on top of pie as desired. Serve and ENJOY!
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan pumpkin pie, sheet pan pie, holiday pie