Flavorful Sautéed Shiitake Mushrooms are deliciously seasoned with butter, garlic and fresh parsley, then pan fried until tender and caramelized. This easy shiitake mushroom recipe comes together in just 15 minutes for a tasty side dish that pairs well with a variety of entrées.
- 1 pound of shiitake mushrooms, sliced or whole
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter (vegan as desired)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Optional splash of white wine*
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by cleaning the mushrooms. Take a wet paper towel and gently wipe off any dirt from the mushrooms. Refrain from rinsing the mushrooms because they absorb water easily and when cooked they will turn out too chewy. Slice as desired.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the butter and olive oil. Once hot, add in the shiitake mushrooms. Let them sit on medium heat and do not touch them for about 3 minutes. This will create some nice caramelization around the edges of the mushrooms. Stir and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Pour in the wine, if using, and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and parsley and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve and ENJOY!
*I usually do about 1 tablespoon, but you can simply leave it out. See notes above about enhancing the medicinal value of the mushrooms.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Side
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: shiitake mushroom recipe, how to cook shiitake mushrooms, pan fried shiitake mushrooms