These Soy Curl Fajitas are simple to make and packed with plant based protein!
For the Soy Curls:
- 2 cups of soy curls
- Juice and zest of 1 orange (~¼ cup of juice)
- Juice of 2 limes (~¼ cup of juice)
- 3 tablespoons of cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- ½ teaspoon of liquid smoke (optional)
- 2 cups of extra hot broth (you can also just use water but the broth adds a lot of nice flavor)
For the Fajitas:
- 2 bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- For serving: avocado, guacamole, salsa, tortillas
- Place the soy curls in a large bowl and add in the remaining soy curl ingredients: broth, orange juice and zest, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, chili powder, oregano, salt, cumin, and liquid smoke. Stir to combine everything and press the curls down into the liquid. If your curls aren’t *mostly* covered (see video for reference), you can add an additional cup of hot broth/ water. Let sit for at least 10 minutes or even up to an hour.*
- While the soy curls marinate, saute your veggies. In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once hot, add the peppers, onions, lime juice and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes, until the veggies are soft. Set aside.
- Using your hands, remove the soy curls from the marinade and gently squeeze out the excess moisture. Place in a clean bowl. You *do not* need to remove all of the moisture and keeping a little will add extra flavor. You just don’t want them to be soupy and totally dripping wet when they go in the skillet.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, add an additional tablespoon of olive oil and add in the soy curls. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, so that they are lightly browned on all sides.
- Add the peppers and onions back to the skillet and stir to combine everything. Cook for an additional 2 minutes and then remove from the heat.
- Serve as desired and ENJOY!
*I believe that this could even marinate overnight but I have not tried that.
- Category: dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan fajitas, soy curls recipe, soy curls