This Homemade strawberry puree is the perfect topping for yogurt, ice cream, pancakes and more. It’s easy to make and ready in less than 15 minutes!
- 20 ounces of strawberries, fresh or frozen (stems removed)
- ⅓ cup of sugar, plus more as desired
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest (optional)*
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice (optional)
- Place all of the ingredients in a medium pot over medium heat and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Cook for about 8 minutes, stirring frequently until the strawberries break down a bit and the sauce thickens. Add more sugar as desired and continue to cook long enough for the sugar to dissolve and mix in with the berries (usually about a minute).
- Let cool for a few minutes and then blend using an immersion blender. You can also blend the mixture in a blender or food processor, just be careful transferring the hot strawberries.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a couple of weeks. You can also store the compote in the freezer for 6 months.
*If using frozen strawberries, place them in a large bowl and let them thaw completely at room temperature. There will be some excess liquid in the bowl and you can add that to the pot with the strawberries.
*As desired, you can swap the lemon juice for orange juice.
- Category: sauce
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: strawberry puree, how to make strawberry puree, strawberry sauce