Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream is the perfect summer (or anytime) treat! Made with just 7 simple ingredients, this easy homemade ice cream recipe is eggless, involves no heating and turns out SO creamy and delicious!
- 2 rough cups fresh strawberries, cleaned and hulled
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 rough cups shortbread cookies, cut into bite-size pieces
- The night before, put your ice cream maker bowl in the freezer and let it fully freeze for 24 hours before making your ice cream.
- Add the strawberries, sugar, whole milk, vanilla, and salt to a blender. Blend until strawberries are about 95% blended in – a few pieces here and there is great.
- With the blender on it’s lowest setting, stream in the heavy cream. Once it’s all in there, cut the blender.
- Turn your ice cream maker on and add in the mix. Let it churn until it’s “done” – this time will be different for every maker. Mine, a kitchenaid attachment, took 20 minutes.
- It will grow in size and be thick and creamy. It’s hard to really delineate what it means to be done… but it’s kind of like the consistency of frozen yogurt or soft serve. It will not be proper ice cream at this stage!
- Be sure not to over churn it when it’s fruity like this or you’ll end up with a more icy consistency once it freezes. But if you go till soft serve consistency, it’ll be great!
- Once it’s nearly done, chop up the shortbread cookies into bite sized pieces and pour them into your ice cream maker while it’s running.
- Transfer your ice cream into a large freeze-able tupperware or container (I use an 11 cup glass rectangle pyrex most of the time).
- Pop in the freezer for 4-5 hours, until it has fully set. Scoop and enjoy!
I used store-bought shortbread cookies from the Publix bakery area instead of cake or biscuits, as is typically served with strawberry shortcake. They’re easier to come by and they freeze better in my opinion. I think this would work with a yellow cake cut up into pieces similarly to the cookies in the recipe, if you’d rather.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Chill Time: 4 hours
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: churning
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: strawberry ice cream, strawberry shortcake ice cream recipe