Easy and delicious Purple Stuffed Artichokes!
- 2 Ocean Mist Purple artichokes
- 2 cups of bread crumbs
- Zest of 1 medium lemon
- 1 lemon, quartered (I zest the lemon and use that same one to cut in quarters)
- 1/3 cup of parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup of parsley, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup of olive oil (plus a bit more for drizzling)
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F and get out a large dutch oven or oven safe casserole dish with a lid.
- Make the stuffing by combining the bread crumbs, lemon zest, parmesan, garlic, parsley, olive oil and pepper. Set aside.
- Prep the artichokes by cutting off the stem so that the artichoke can sit flat (stem side down).
- Working your way around each artichoke, pluck off the bottom outer leaves of the artichoke down by the stem. I usually end up removing about 6-8 leaves. Trim off the top 1/3 of the artichoke (see video for reference).
- Working your way around, trim the tips off the all of the leaves. They’re pointed and a little prickly so we want to cut the top 1/4-1/2 inch off of each leaf.
- Remove the choke in the middle. To do this, use a large spoon, place it into the center of the atichoke, and scrape out the fuzzy parts and everything in the middle that aren’t the leaves. Rub ALL around the cut edges with a lemon wedge to prevent browning.
- Use your fingers to gently loosen up the artichoke so that there’s room in the middle and in between all of the layers of leaves. Stuff as much of the filling in the center as you can fit. Work your way around and place the stuffing in between each layer of leaves, getting as much in as possible.
- Place the artichokes in the oven safe dish. Drizzle olive oil over the tops of the artichokes. In the dish, pour in the white wine, lemon wedges, and steaming hot water that comes up 1/3 of the way up the artichokes. Cover and Bake for 55 minutes. Check for tenderness by piercing a fork in the middle and bake for 10-15 more minutes as needed.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Side dish
- Method: roasting
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: stuffed artichokes, purple artichoke recipe