This Sweet Kale Salad is simple to make and so super filling!
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- ⅓ cup of chopped yellow onion
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 3 teaspoons of maple syrup (or you can instead use 1 pitted date)
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
For the salad:
- 1 bunch of kale
- 1 cup of shredded purple cabbage
- 5 Natural Delights pitted medjool dates, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons of slivered almonds or pine nuts (optional to taste)
- 1 batch of crispy chickpeas (from a 15 ounce can of chickpeas)*
- Clean and dry the kale, debone it, and then chop into bite sized pieces. I most often just do this by tearing it with my hands.
- Make the dressing by heating 3 tablespoons of oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Once hot, add in the onion and saute for about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic, salt and maple syrup (if using a date, leave it out and add it into the blender whole) and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Transfer the onion mixture to a blender, add in the balsamic vinegar (as well as the date if using), and blend until mostly smooth.
- Add the chopped kale to a large bowl, pour the dressing over top, and massage the dressing into the kale. Massage for a couple of minutes until all of the kale is coated with the dressing and a rich dark green color. Do not skip the massage! It makes the kale much softer and a lot tastier.
- Add the remaining ingredients (cabbage, sliced dates, nuts, and chickpeas) and toss to combine. Serve and ENJOY!
*If desired, you could also simply drain and rinse the chickpeas and add them to the salad without roasting them. I love them roasted in this recipe but often eat them on salads straight from the can.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan salad, sweet kale salad, kale salad