- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 of a medium red onion, finely diced (about 1 cup diced)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil (I used olive oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 15oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 tostadas**
- optional for topping: avocado, cilantro, jalapeno, salsa, sour cream
- Prepare sweet potatoes- Cook by either chopping them into small chunks (peeling skins ahead of time) and boiling them until tender OR poking a few holes in each and roasting them in the oven at 400 degree F for about 45 minutes or until fork tender, remove skins. Once sweet potato has cooled a bit, mash with a fork until no lumps remain.
- Make your black bean mixture- heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and then add in onion. Saute for 5 minutes until the onions begins to become translucent. Add in the garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, and sea salt and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Add the black beans to the skillet and toss to combine. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the black beans are fully heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Assemble Tostadas- spread the mashed sweet potato evenly on top of each tostada shell and then top with the black bean mixture, evenly spread out.
**Out of laziness, I use the pre-made tostada shells, but you can make them at home by simply frying corn tortillas in a little bit of oil until crispy.