This tempeh chili is easy to make and so filling!
- 1 package of tempeh (about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 4 cloves of garlic, pressed (or finely minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon of fine sea salt (more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 15 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- Using your hands, crumble the tempeh into small pieces. I like to make the pieces about the width of a dime.* Set aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add in the oil. Once the oil is warmed, add in the onion and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in the garlic and crumbled tempeh and cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring frequently and being careful not to burn the garlic. Mix in the salt, pepper, chili powder, oregano, and cayenne. Stir until combined and cook for an additional minute.
- Mix in the broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beans, and cocoa powder. Increase heat, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for at least 25 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- Once ready to eat, take off of the heat and garnish with some vegan sour cream, green onion, avocado, etc. ENJOY!
*think about how big chunks of beef would be in chili and aim for that size
- Prep Time: 8 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: chili
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 371
- Sugar: 10 g
- Sodium: 1280.9 mg
- Fat: 11.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 49.4 g
- Protein: 23 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan chili, tempeh chili, tempeh recipe