This vegetarian taco filling is made from crumbled tempeh that is seasoned and delicious! Perfect for taco night and easy to throw together.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ of a medium yellow onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of oregano
- ¼–1 teaspoon of paprika (according to taste and desired spiciness)
- 1 (8 ounce) block tempeh
- 1/4 cup of water
- Heat oil in medium pan over medium heat. Once hot, add in onion and cook for about 5 minutes until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add in the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Crumble in the tempeh so that it’s in very small pieces and then add in all of the spices. Add in the water and mix to combine. Cook for 5 additional minutes until the tempeh is heated through and the water has thickened/been absorbed.
- Serve with your favorite taco toppings and ENJOY!!
Storing & freezing tempeh taco “meat”:
- Leftovers: Once the tempeh has cooled completely, store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- To freeze: Let the tempeh filling cool completely before transferring it to a freezer-safe bag or container. Freeze for up to 2 months.
- To reheat: Thaw the frozen tempeh in the refrigerator before reheating on the stovetop or in the microwave until heated through.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan tacos, tempeh tacos, vegetarian tacos