My basic recipe for the most DELICIOUS Easy Baked Tempeh!
- 1 package of tempeh, roughly 8 oz
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced or 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of liquid smoke, optional but highly recommended
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- For the optional sauce: 1/4 cup of water whisked together with 1 1/2 tablespoons of corn starch
- Prepare the tempeh by cutting it into cubes, triangles, or thin slices. See photo above for reference.*
- Make the marinade by whisking together the soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, garlic, liquid smoke, olive oil, and maple syrup in a shallow bowl. Toss in the tempeh and let marinate for 30 minutes or even a few hours.
- When ready to cook, pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Line the tempeh pieces on one side of the baking sheet and pour about 1/2 teaspoon of the marinade on each piece of the tempeh. As desired, you can reserve the marinade and use it to make a sauce at the end which is what I did. Directions below.
- Bake tempeh for 15 minutes*, flipping halfway through.
- Optional sauce: whisk together 1 1/2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water. Mix the remaining marinade and the cornstarch slurry in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stirring constantly, cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. It’ll go from liquid to a thick sauce all of a sudden so make sure to watch it!
- Top the tempeh with the sauce and ENJOY!
*if you cut your tempeh into thinner slices, it may not need to bake as long
*this bake time is for the cubes or triangles. If you thinly slice your tempeh, it will likely need a few minutes less time than the recipe calls for so watch it the last 5 minutes.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 355
- Sugar: 14 g
- Sodium: 679.7 mg
- Fat: 13.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 37.2 g
- Protein: 23.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan tempeh recipe, baked tempeh, easy tempeh recipe