Flavorful, vegan Tofu Fried Rice can be ready in 30 minutes or less! It’s easy to make, packed with veggies, loaded with perfectly cooked tofu, and coated with a delicious, yet simple sauce. The perfect plant-based cozy dinner or lunch!
For the tofu:
- 14 oz of firm or extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of cornstarch
For the rice:
- 4 cups of cooked rice (day old rice is ideal)
- 1 tablespoon of cooking oil
- 5 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 inch of ginger, peeled and finely minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 1/2 cups of yellow onion, chopped
- 12–16 ounce bag of frozen mixed vegetables*
- 4 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil
- For ease, I like to cook the tofu and rice in separate pans so that the meal comes together quickly. But if you have time, you can do it all in the same skillet.
- Break the tofu into large chunks that are about 1 1/2 inches big (very roughly). The tofu will break up more in the pan so I like to start with larger chunks. Place it in a large bowl and toss with soy sauce, turmeric, and cornstarch.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the tofu chunks and stir to combine and continue to cook for about 8 minutes. You want the tofu to be completely warmed through and broken up a bit more. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- While the tofu cooks, prepare the rest of the dish (or do it in the same skillet that you cooked the tofu).
- Over medium heat, heat your oil until hot. Add in the garlic, ginger, and onion. Saute for 5 minutes and then add in frozen vegetables. Saute for 5 additional minutes, stirring frequently until the vegetables are heated through.
- Stir in the cold rice, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Once fully combined, let the rice cook, untouched for a couple of minutes. When it is just beginning to stick to the bottom of the pan a bit, stir again and repeat this a few times. This helps get a tiny bit of crispiness on the bottom of the rice. Remove from heat and ENJOY!
Vegetables – you can also replace the frozen vegetables with 1 cup of carrot, diced, 1 cup of corn (I used frozen corn, thawed), and 1/2 cup of peas (I used frozen peas, thawed)
Cooking the vegetables – if using fresh veggies, add the carrots in when you add in the onion and then mix in the corn and peas when you add in rice.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: tofu, fried rice, tofu fried rice