Tofu Salad is an easy meal absolutely full of flavor! Fresh romaine is tossed with deliciously marinated tofu, crisp cucumbers, juicy cherry tomatoes, avocado and crunchy almonds to create this incredible salad. Top with a homemade lemon herb dressing for a bright, summery dish that’s sure to keep you satisfied!
For the tofu:
- 14–16 ounce block of tofu
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
Herby Lemon Dressing:
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon of dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup or honey
- 2 tablespoons of fresh herbs 4-6 large basil leaves, very finely diced
- Freshly ground salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 large heads of romaine (about 8 loosely packed cups of lettuce) chopped
- ⅔ cup of diced cucumber
- ⅔ cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, diced or thinly sliced
- ¼ cup of sliced almonds
For the Tofu:
- Press your tofu (see my full guide HERE on pressing tofu) and cut into your desired shape. I like larger cubes when serving in a salad but really anything works well.
- Make the marinade for the tofu by whisking together the lemon juice, olive oil, balsamic, water, maple syrup, garlic, and salt in a shallow dish. Put the tofu in and shake gently to coat the tofu in the marinade. Let sit for 15-30 minutes.
- To cook the tofu, you can bake it in the oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, flipping halfway. OR you can pan fry it, which is my favorite, by removing it from the marinade and putting it in a large skillet over medium heat. Flip every few minutes and cook until it’s lightly browned on all sides.
To make the dressing:
- Whisk together all of the ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside until ready to use.
To assemble the salad:
- Make the salad by layering in a large bowl the lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, avocado and almonds. Pour on the dressing and toss gently to combine. Top with the tofu and any additional toppings.
- Serve and ENJOY!
- If making for meal prep, I suggest leaving off the avocado and simply add it right before serving or it will go brown.
Storage & Make-Ahead Tips:
- This salad doesn’t keep well for a long period of time because the avocado will brown and the almonds will become soft. However, it can be made in advance and stored as long as ingredients are stored separately. (Romaine, cucumbers and tomatoes together and everything else stored in separate containers — slice up the avocado right before serving).
- Dressing stays good for 3 to 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge. It can be made ahead of time — just shake it up before adding it to the salad.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
Keywords: tofu salad, vegetarian salad, lemon dressing