Tofu Tikka Masala is a flavorful, vegan version of the classic and very popular Indian recipe. With aromatic Indian spices, tofu, tomato sauce and coconut milk, it has become one of my favorite easy vegetarian meals to enjoy. It’s creamy, delicious, and the perfect cozy dish to serve during the cold winter season!
- 2 (14-ounce) blocks of firm or extra firm tofu, pressed* and cubed
- Large yellow onion, divided (1/2 goes in sauce in blitzed sauce, 1/2 is finely chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 inch of ginger, peeled
- 10 sprigs of fresh cilantro (plus more for serving)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of garam masala
- 1 15 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1 small container of vegan yogurt*
- 7.5 oz can of full fat coconut cream or milk** (about half of an average sized can)
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- Optional for serving: chopped cilantro, extra yogurt, basmati rice cooked
- In a food processor, combine half of the onion, garlic, ginger, cilantro stalks, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Blitz until fully combined, about 1 minute. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet, saute the tofu over medium heat until it’s lightly browned and crispy on all sides. This will take roughly 15 minutes. Your tofu will likely not all fit into the pan so you can either do this in batches or in 2 separate skillets. Once done, set aside.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add in the chopped onion and spices, stir to combine and cook gently for 8 minutes, stirring often.
- Into the skillet, add the tomato sauce, yogurt, coconut milk and the blitzed onion and cilantro sauce. Cook for an additional 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add in the tofu and frozen peas. Stir to combine and let cook for 5 more minutes or until peas are fully heated through.
- Serve with rice and (optional) a bit more cilantro leaves and yogurt.
Tofu: See my guide on pressing tofu HERE
Tofu blocks all seem to be different sizes ranging from 10-16 ounces. Aim for ~28 ounces but don’t worry if your blocks are a bit smaller or larger. The recipe will still turn out great!
Coconut Milk: I usually use a 15 ounce can and simply sace half of the can for a different recipe or to be used in a smoothie.
Yogurt: make sure that you find a PLAIN yogurt. Plain dairy free yogurt can be hard to find at some stores so if you absolutely can’t find it, you could use the whole can of coconut milk or try some vegan sour cream.
- Category: dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: vegan tikka masala, tofu tikka masala, vegetarian tikka masala