Deliciously creamy and nourishing Vegan Broccoli Soup is just what you need for a quick, cozy dinner at home. This homemade broccoli soup recipe is so easy to make and it’s packed with plenty of vegetables, all simmered in a savory veggie broth. An easy one pot dinner option that the whole family will love!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 heads broccoli, chopped into florets (about 4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 3/4 cup coconut cream, well stirred
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a large heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the olive oil, onion, carrot, and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the garlic and flour and stir to combine. Cook for an additional minute.
- Next, add the vegetable broth and scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Add the broccoli and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until the broccoli is soft.
- (Optional) If you like to have chunks of broccoli in your soup, remove 1 cup of soup from the pot and set it aside.
- Remove the soup from the heat and add the coconut cream and nutritional yeast to the pan.
- Use an immersion (or high speed) blender to puree the soup until it is smooth. Once the soup is smooth, add the reserved vegetables back to the pot.
- Return the soup to low heat and cook for another 5 minutes, or just until the cream and nutritional yeast have been incorporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Enjoy warm and store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: broccoli soup, vegan, dairy free