These festive Candy Cane Cookies are fully vegan and so fun to make! A great family baking project.
- ½ cup (1 stick) vegan butter, room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons almond milk (or any milk alternative)
- 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Gel food coloring
- Additional ½ cup of granulated sugar for topping
- Line a large baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Mix the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
- Beat the softened vegan butter and sugar together in a stand mixer or using an electric handheld mixer for 2 minutes or until it comes together. Scrape the sides of the bowl and beat again for another minute, until light and fluffy. Add in the milk and peppermint extract and mix until just combined.
- Slowly combine the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet and beat until a dough has formed – about a minute of mixing.
- Remove half of the dough from the stand mixer and set aside. Add about 10 drops of red gel food coloring to the dough in the stand mixer and mix until combined. I find that I need to kind of mix it with my hands in the end to finish getting the coloring combined.
- Take a tablespoon of the dough and roll it out until it’s a log, about 6 ½ inches long. Repeat with all of the dough, both colors (see video for reference). Take one piece of each color and gently pinch together the ends. Twist the colors together, pinch the other end lightly, and form into the shape of a candy cane. I find that it’s best to lay the 2 colors flat and continually cross each color over the other back and forth. If you hold the 2 ends and twist the dough together, it stretches the cookie dough a little and doesn’t bake as nicely. See video for reference on how to best do this.
- Place candy cane cookies on prepared baking sheet, an inch apart, and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes. Do not skip this step as it helps the cookies hold their form and not puff up too much. With 15 minutes of chilling left, pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until the bottoms are lightly browned. Let cool.
- Optional: Once mostly cool, lightly spritz the cookies with cooking spray and toss the tops in the sugar topping. ENJOY!
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan sugar cookies, vegan holiday cookies, candy cane cookies