Sweet, silky, irresistible vegan caramel is easy to make with just 4 key ingredients. Use this homemade vegan caramel sauce as a fruit dip or drizzle it on your favorite desserts, French toast, or even fun milkshakes and so much more! An impressive treat that’s ready in just minutes – add a sprinkle of sea salt and a shot of bourbon to really make this caramel sauce special!
- 1 cup brown sugar (light brown is my preferred)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional but highly recommended: 1 shot bourbon
- Optional: Sea salt, to taste
- Combine the brown sugar, cornstarch, and coconut cream in a small saucepan over medium heat. You may have some small lumps of sugar and cornstarch but they’ll dissolve as it heats up.
- Whisking frequently, bring the mixture to a light boil. Cook until the sugar has fully dissolved- about 2 minutes. Reduce the heat and allow the mixture to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently with a rubber spatula, or until it starts to thicken slightly. If you have a candy thermometer, it should be just below the soft ball point. It will still be a bit runny at this point but will thicken up to traditional caramel thickness as it cools.
- Remove the caramel from the heat and immediately add the vanilla, salt, and bourbon (if using). Transfer the caramel to an airtight container and store in the fridge until ready to use. This caramel will keep in the fridge for up to two weeks.
- Reheat the caramel in small batches in the microwave– about 30 seconds works great.
Coconut cream is the solid white part that settles on the top of coconut milk— make sure to use it, not the liquid below.
This caramel will become hard as it cools— just reheat it in the microwave as necessary.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan, caramels, dessert, candy, sauce