- ½ cup (1 stick) vegan butter, room temperature
- ½ cup cane sugar
- 3 tablespoons almond milk (or any milk alternative)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour (+ more for rolling out).
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 Tablespoons of vegan butter, softened
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup vegan powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp almond milk (or any milk alternative)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
- Beat the softened butter and sugar together in a stand mixer for 2 minutes or until it comes together. Scrape the sides of the bowl and beat for an additional minute, until light and fluffy. Add in the almond milk and extracts and mix until combined.
- On medium speed, slowly combine the dry with the wet and beat until just combined. Do not overmix – once the dough comes together, it’s ready.
- Divide the dough in half and roll. Take one half of the dough, form it into a rectangle and place it in between 2 pieces of parchment paper (this can also simply be done on a well floured surface but I like how much cleaner the parchment paper makes things). Roll the dough out into a rectangle that’s roughly 7”x9”. Repeat with the other half of the dough.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar and the cinnamon for the filling.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of butter over the top of each piece of dough. Evenly divide the cinnamon sugar over the tops of each (see photos for reference).
- Starting at one of the long ends, gently and TIGHTLY roll up each rectangle of dough. I use the parchment paper to help roll and keep things tight. The cookie dough might tear just a little but you can easily press it back together a little with your fingers. See video for reference.
- Once fully rolled up, place the dough logs on plastic wrap and roll up tightly. I like to press the ends in a bit so that it’s nicely compact. Chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours but even overnight.
- Once ready to bake, pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Slice the cookies into ½ inch discs and place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until the bottoms are lightly browned and the tops are done. Let cool completely if you plan to ice them.
- Make the icing by whisking together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla. Drizzle over the cookies and ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: cookies
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan cookies, cinnamon roll cookies, vegan sugar cookies