This Vegan French Toast is super easy to make and so much like the original…you’re going to love it!
- 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed
- 1 cup of non dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 6 thickly cut slices of tougher bread**
- Cooking spray
- In a large shallow dish, whisk together the ground flaxseed and milk. Let sit for 5 minutes so the flaxseed can thicken.
- Whisk milk mixture again before adding in the cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract, and salt. Whisk lightly until fully combined. In my experience, the cinnamon is hard to combine so I usually add a little extra in midway through dipping the bread.
- Over medium heat, spray a large skillet with cooking spray.
- Lightly dip the slices of bread in the milk mixture so that the bread is just covered on each side but not soaked. Do not let the bread sit in the milk mixture of any amount of time.
- Cook the bread in the skillet for ~4 minutes on each side or until a nice golden brown.
- Once done, top with syrup, fruit, and a dusting of powdered sugar and ENJOY!!
**do NOT use fresh, soft white bread for this recipe. You can make it work for traditional french toast that has egg in it BUT it does not work well for this Vegan French Toast. You want slightly tougher bread that will hold up once dipped in the liquid. You’ll want a bread that is roughly the thickness and texture of potato bread or challah bread. You can also use softer bread that has gone a bit stale.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Skillet
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: french toast, breakfast, vegan