Homemade vegan gingerbread cookies made into any shape you like and decorated for a festive holiday treat. So scrumptious!
- 3 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ teaspoons of cinnamon
- 2 ½ teaspoons of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of all spice
- ½ teaspoon of ground clove
- ½ teaspoon of nutmeg
- 3/4 cup of vegan butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup of packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon of ground flax seed mixed with 2.5 tablespoons of water)
- 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
FOR THE ICING*:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1–2 Tablespoons almond milk
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, all spice, clove, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, beat together the butter and brown sugar until nice and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the flax egg and molasses and mix until just combined.
- While mixing on low speed, gradually add in the dry ingredients until they’re all added and the dough is fully mixed.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill for at least an hour but you could even chill it overnight. (if you’re only chilling an hour, I suggest dividing the dough in half and forming 2 discs before wrapping in plastic wrap and chilling.)
- When ready to roll the dough out, let it sit out on the counter for at least 5 minutes and pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lightly flour both sides of the dough and roll it out between 2 pieces of parchment paper so that it’s ¼ of an inch thick. If you don’t want to use parchment paper, just make sure that your surface and rolling pin are well floured.
- Cut shapes out and place them on a lined baking sheet about an inch apart. Place in the fridge to chill for 10 minutes (this helps the dough hold its form better).
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Let cool completely.
- When ready to decorate, whisk together the frosting ingredients in a small bowl and then transfer the frosting to a small baggie. Cut a small hole in the corner of the bag and pipe your frosting onto the cookies. ENJOY!
*you can also use store bought icing for ease
- Category: cookies
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan cookies, gingerbread cookies, vegan gingerbread cookies