Bringing you major warm, cozy and comforting vibes with this Vegan Lentil Soup! This soup recipe is so easy to make and it’s loaded with nourishing vegetables, warm spices and lentils, all simmered in a savory veggie broth. An easy one pot dinner option that the whole family will love!
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 cups of dried brown or green lentils*
- 1 15 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 7 cups of vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon of fine sea salt + more to taste
- pepper to taste
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add in the oil. Once hot, add in the onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
- Next add in the carrots and cook until they begin to soften, about 8-10 minutes.
- Increase the heat and add in the remaining ingredients minus the lemon juice and zest: dried lentils, crushed tomatoes, broth, cumin, thyme, curry powder, bay leaves, salt + pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce heat as necessary so that it’s at a very gentle simmer. If the stove is too hot then you may end up with mushy lentils. Cover and cook for 30-35 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove the bay leaves and add in the lemon juice + zest.
- You can serve the soup AS IS or make it a bit creamier by blending 1/4-1/2 of the soup. I do this using an immersion blender but you can also (carefully!) transfer some of the soup to a blender, blend, and then pour it back into the pot. I like my soup quite thick but you can add another cup of water or broth if desired.
- Serve and ENJOY!
*I do not recommend using red lentils in this recipe
- Leftovers. Store leftover red lentil soup in an airtight storage container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Reheat. Warm up leftover soup on the stovetop over medium-low heat. Add additional broth as needed to thin the soup. You can also rewarm this soup in the microwave.
- Freeze. Place leftover soup that is completely cooled in an airtight freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan soup, vegan lentil soup, lentil vegetable soup