This Vegan Lentil Soup is comforting, filling, and so easy to make!
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 cups of dried brown or green lentils*
- 1 15 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 7 cups of vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon of fine sea salt + more to taste
- pepper to taste
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add in the oil. Once hot, add in the onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
- Next add in the carrots and cook until they begin to soften, about 8-10 minutes.
- Increase the heat and add in the remaining ingredients minus the lemon juice and zest: dried lentils, crushed tomatoes, broth, cumin, thyme, curry powder, bay leaves, salt + pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce heat as necessary so that it’s at a very gentle simmer. If the stove is too hot then you may end up with mushy lentils. Cover and cook for 30-35 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove the bay leaves and add in the lemon juice + zest.
- You can serve the soup AS IS or make it a bit creamier by blending 1/4-1/2 of the soup. I do this using an immersion blender but you can also (carefully!) transfer some of the soup to a blender, blend, and then pour it back into the pot. I like my soup quite thick but you can add another cup of water or broth if desired.
- Serve and ENJOY!
*I do not recommend using red lentils in this recipe
- Category: soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan soup, vegan lentil soup, lentil vegetable soup