This is just like a classic pie crust but made with dairy free butter. It’s still flaky and delicious and easy to make!
- 2 1/2 cups of flour*
- 1 cup of vegan butter, diced into 1/2 inch cubes and chilled*
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 6 tablespoons of ice water, plus more as needed
- In the bowl of a food processor*, combine the flour, salt, and sugar. Pulse a few times to combine.
- Add in HALF of the cold butter cubes and pulse a few more times. Add in remaining butter and pulse a few additional times so that the butter is roughly the size of peas.
- Add in the cold water, starting with just 4 tablespoons, and pulse 2 times. Add in 2 more and pulse a couple more times. Test out the dough by pressing some together between your fingers. If it holds together then it’s ready. If it’s still really crumbly then add in more water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Mine is always perfect with 6 total tablespoons but you may need a little more less. SEE VIDEO ABOVE FOR REFERENCE ON DONENESS.
- On a lightly floured surface, pour out the dough and work it so that’s it’s mostly pressed together. Split it in half evenly and form 2 discs with the dough. Wrap the discs individually in plastic wrap and CHILL for 1 hour or up to 2 days.
- When ready to use the dough, let it sit on the counter for about 10 minutes to warm up a bit. If you’re making a double crust pie, I like to roll out the bottom crust and let it sit in the fridge chilling while I roll out the top crust.
- To make things easier, roll the dough out on a floured piece of parchment paper using a floured rolling pin. It will likely be very crumbly at first but work it with your hands a few times so that it’s pliable and easy to roll out. Roll it out so that it will fit in your pie dish with about 1/2 an inch hanging over. Place it in your greased pie dish (a standard 9″ pie dish is perfect) and proceed with your pie recipe!
*I have never tried this with any other kind of flour. If you would like to make it gluten free, the only thing I can suggest for this recipe is to simply use a gluten free 1-1 flour.
*I like to dice the butter and then place it in the freeze for a few minutes while I prep the rest of the ingredients.
*You can also make this crust in a large bowl using a pastry cutter
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: baking
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 278
- Sugar: 0.5 g
- Sodium: 236.4 mg
- Fat: 18.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.3 g
- Protein: 3.4 g
- Cholesterol: 48.8 mg
Keywords: vegan pie crust, dairy free pie crust, vegan pies