This Chickpea Pot Pie is SO comforting and filling! It’s a great pot luck dish and something everyone will love!
- 2 vegan pie crusts* (a top and a bottom piece)
- ⅓ cup of vegan butter (I really like Earth Balance or Country Crock Plant Butter in this recipe)
- 1 small yellow onion (about 1 cup)
- ⅓ cup of all-purpose flour (can sub for oat flour or a 1-1 flour to make gluten free)
- ¾ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 ½ cups of veggie broth
- ½ cup of plant based milk (I love oat milk in this!)
- 2 15-ounce cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables*
- 2 sticks of celery**
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees F and grease a 9 inch pie pan. Position one of the crusts into the bottom of the pan and cut off an excess so that about 1/4 of an inch hangs over the side. Place in the fridge while you prepare the filling.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt the butter. Once melted, add in the onion and celery and saute for 5 minutes until softened.
- Mix in flour, salt and pepper and stir until the flour is fully combined
- Slowly mix in the milk, adding it a little at a time and continuing to stir. Sir in the broth. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken. Stir in chickpeas and frozen veggies.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pie pan (it’ll seem like almost too much filling but it’s fine!). Brush the edges of the crust with water or plant based milk.
- Cover the pie with the other crust and trim it so that 1/2 an inch hangs over the side. Seal the 2 crusts together and crimp the edges. You can do this for a fork or with your fingers. Cut a few slits in the op of the dough (see video).
- Bake for 40 minutes. Watch the last 10 minutes and put foil over edges of crust to avoid burning. Let sit for about 10 minutes and enjoy!! The filling will be quite runny and messy and thickens up the more that it sits.
*HERE is my coconut oil vegan pie crust but you can use any you wish!
*You can obviously sub this for 2 cups of fresh vegetables, you’ll just want to saute them in a little oil over medium heat for about 8 minutes before adding them to the rest of the recipe.
**this is optional but I just really like adding it in :D
- Category: vegan dinner
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan pot pie, pot pie, chickpea recipe, chickpea pot pie