Nourishing Vegan Ramen is a flavorful blend of tofu, bok choy, green onion, ginger, mushrooms and ramen noodles, all simmered in a complex and savory broth. The perfect easy, plant-based cozy dinner or lunch for colder months!
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, divided (1 tsp for tofu & 1 for veggies)
- ½ block of tofu (~ 7 ounces), pressed and cubed into bite sized pieces
- 1 baby bok choy, ends trimmed and halved
- 1/4 cup of green onion, diced (plus more for topping if desired)
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and finely minced*
- 1/2 of a sweet onion, cut into thin strips (i like mine half moons)
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 5oz (just over ¼ pound) of shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoons of miso paste, I used white but yellow or red also work
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 3oz packet of ramen (see notes if you want extra noodles)
- For seving: sauteed carrots, green onion, sesame seeds
- Lightly spray a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray and heat to medium-high. Once hot, add in the bok choy, cut side down, and saute for 4 minutes or until lightly charred on the bottom. Add ½ cup of water to the skillet and bring to a simmer. Cover and steam for 4 minutes until tender. Remove from the skillet, remove the water and lightly wipe clean.
- Using the same skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of sesame oil over medium heat. Once hot, add in the tofu and saute for 15 minutes, tossing every few minutes until browned on all sides.
- Meanwhile in a large pot, add in the remaining sesame oil and heat over medium. Once hot, add in the green onion, ginger, onion, and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add in mushrooms and cook for 3 additional minutes.
- Mix in the broth, miso, soy sauce, cover, and bring to a boil. Once at a boil, lower the heat and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Add in the ramen noodles and cook for 2-4 more minutes, depending on how tender you prefer your noodles. Mine were perfect around 3 minutes.
- Using tongs or chopsticks, remove the noodles and evenly place them in 2 large soup bowls. Ladle the broth and veggies over top of the noodles and then top with the tofu, bok choy, and other optional toppings.
- Serve immediately and ENJOY!!
Miso paste– you can leave this out, if you don’t have it available.
Ginger- you can also use 1 teaspoon of ginger paste
Mushrooms- you can swap the fresh mushrooms for .5oz of dried shiitake mushrooms
Noodles- I tested this several ways and found 6oz of noodles to be a little much since I prefer a brothier soup. You can do 6oz (2 packets of average ramen noodles) or even 4 ½ oz but breaking one of the packets in half and adding 1 ½ packets to the soup. If you add additional noodles, I suggest adding a little extra broth and soy sauce as well (about 1 additional cup of broth and 1 tbs of soy sauce)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 406
- Sugar: 12.4 g
- Sodium: 2065.9 mg
- Fat: 11.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 57.5 g
- Protein: 19.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan ramen, ramen, ramen noodles