- 3 tablespoons of vegan butter (I’ve been loving Country Crock plant based butter lately!)
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour (can also be subbed for oat flour)
- 2 cups of plant based milk- I used a thicker oat milk variety but any kind will work!
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 teaspoons of fresh thyme leaves, divided
- 4 pounds of Yukon Gold Potatoes, thinly sliced about 1/8 inch thick*
- ½ cup of nutritional yeast
- Optional: vegan shredded cheese for topping
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees F. Generously spray a large baking dish (I used an 9×13) with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Once melted, add in the onions and saute for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add in the garlic and saute an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and, stirring constantly, cook for one additional minute. Whisk in the milk until the flour and milk are fully combined.
- Mix in the broth, 1 teaspoon of thyme, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. Cook for an additional few minutes so that the mixture can thicken. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In your baking dish, spread out HALF of the sliced potatoes and pour over HALF of the onion mixture. Top with the remaining potatoes and then pour over the remaining onion sauce.
- COVER with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Sprinkle with the remaining herbs and ENJOY!
*Adapted from Gimme Some Oven
*It’s fine if your rounds are a little thicker or thinner than 1/8 of an inch, you just want them all to be pretty close to the same size so that they cook evenly.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: side dish
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan side dish, vegan thanksgiving, scalloped potatoes recipe