This vegan skillet cookie is super simple to make and SUCH a delicious comfort food! Best enjoyed with a big scoop of ice cream :D
- 1/2 cup of vegan butter, 8 tablespoons, softened* (1/2 cup of coconut oil will also work well here!)
- 1/2 cup of light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- ¼ cup of plant based milk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of all purpose flour*
- 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- ¾ cup of vegan chocolate chips, additional for topping (For this skillet, I like to use a combo of chips and chunks of chocolate!)
- for serving: ice cream (not necessary but HIGHLY recommended)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 10-12 inch oven safe skillet with butter or cooking spray.
- In a stand mixer using the paddle attachment (you can also do this in a large bowl with a hand mixer), cream together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar. Once fully combined, add in the milk and vanilla and mix until just combined. The mixture will look a little curdled but it’s okay!
- Add in the four, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and stir until just combined. Fold in the chocolate until mixed in. The dough will be a little sticky but should not stick to your hands excessively. If it’s too sticky, mix in a little extra flour.
- Pour the dough into your prepared skillet and spread it out so that it’s evenly in the skillet. Pat the edges down a little so everything is as even as possible. Optional to top with additional chocolate (do it!).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cookie set, puffed up around the edges, and just starting to get a golden brown color. Top with ice cream and ENJOY!
*the butter does not need to be at room temperature but soft enough that it will easily cream together with the sugars. I’ve found this to be perfect at a little cooler, but close to, room temperature
*the only gluten free flour that I’ve ever tried with this recipe is a gluten free 1-1 flour (bob’s red mill and cup4cup are my favorite brands!)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 375
- Sugar: 38 g
- Sodium: 346.2 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Carbohydrates: 64.5 g
- Protein: 4.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: skillet cookie, vegan skillet cookie, vegan cookie, vegan dessert