Cozy Vegan Stew is super flavorful and so easy to make in one pot! It’s loaded with hearty vegetables, tender red potatoes and is simmered in a rich tomato broth. This incredible, healthy, meatless stew recipe makes a wonderful plant-based dinner the whole family will love. Serve with crusty bread for the perfect meal!
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 10 oz of baby bella mushrooms, diced (I quartered mine)
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 sticks of celery, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 3/4 cup of dried red wine
- 2 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups of diced red potatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 4 cups of veggie stock/ broth
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add in the onion and shallot and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms, carrots, celery, and garlic. Cook for 5 additional minutes, stirring often. Mix in the thyme, rosemary, pepper, and flour. Cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in the wine and scrape the bottom of the pot to deglaze. Add in the balsamic vinegar, potatoes, bay leaf, tomato paste, and broth.
- Bring to a simmer and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and ENJOY!
- Storage. Once completely cool, store leftovers in an airtight storage container. It keeps well in the refrigerator for up to 4 to 5 days.
- Reheating. Rewarm leftovers in a large pot on the stovetop over medium-low heat, adding a bit more broth or water, as needed. You can also reheat this stew in the microwave until hot.
- Freezing. Place leftovers in an airtight freezer-safe storage container or bag, and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Be sure to label the stew with the date, so you know when it went into the freezer. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 285
- Sugar: 13.4 g
- Sodium: 630.6 mg
- Fat: 7.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 43.4 g
- Protein: 6.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan stew, vegetarian stew, meatless stew