For the muffins:
- 2 cups flour
- •1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- •2 teaspoons baking powder
- •2/3 cup of sugar
- •1/2 cup vegan butter, softened
- 2 flax eggs
- •1 cup of almond milk, or other non dairy milk
- •1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- •zest of 1 lemon
- •juice of 1 lemon juice
For the icing:
- •1.5 cups powdered sugar
- •optional- 1-2 tbs non-dairy milk, added as needed to help blend
- •5-8 frozen strawberries
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease or line a muffin tray.
- Prepare your flax egg and set aside until needed.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the butter, flax eggs, almond milk, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until everything is just incorporated.
- Pour the mixture evenly into your muffin tray so that each tin is about 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. You don’t really want these muffins to brown at all. Set aside to cool while you make the icing.
For the icing:
- In a food processor blender, blend together the frozen strawberries (I started with 6 and ended up adding one or two more), powdered sugar, and 1-2 tablespoons of milk. Add more liquid as needed. You want this to be running but still rather thick.
- Once the muffins are mostly cooled, dip them into the icing. I dipped mine in twice by letting the first layer set for about 5 minutes and then dipping them in again.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: breakfast
- Serving Size: 1 muffin