This vegan stuffed acorn squash is so simple to make and a great holiday main or side dish that everyone will love!
- 4 medium acorn squash, halved (ideally cut down through the stem) and deseeded
- 1 small sweet onion
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of diced celery
- 2 medium carrots, finely diced
- 2 cups of cooked grains (I used 1 package of Simple Truth Brown Rice and Quinoa from Kroger but any grain/ mix of grains will work well!)
- 1 medium apple, finely diced
- 4 cups of kale, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cups of white wine
- Sprinkle the squash with salt and pepper. Cook in an instant pot on top of a trivet with 1 cup of water: high pressure for 5 minutes. Natural release for 10 minutes.
- To cook in the oven: pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place on a greased baking sheet, flesh side up, and roast for 40-50 minutes or until very tender.
- For the filling: place onion, garlic, celery, and carrots in a food processor and pulse until finely diced. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat and add veggies. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and mix in white wine, kale, apple and cooked grains.
- Put stuffing inside of acorn squash, garnish with fresh herbs and cranberries and ENJOY!
I really like using a quick cook rice/ grain for this recipe on the holidays because it tastes just as good and saves precious counter/ stovetop space and makes the whole recipes so much quicker.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: main dish
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 309
- Sugar: 4.4 g
- Sodium: 34.1 mg
- Fat: 1.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 66.8 g
- Protein: 6.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan stuffed acorn squash, vegetarian stuffed acorn squash, vegan holiday main dish