Fully vegetarian and vegan stuffed bell peppers that are filling and easy to make!
- 3 bell peppers, cut in half (any color)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped into bite small sized pieces
- ¾ cup of cooked lentils (can sub for tofu or tempeh as well)*
- 1 cup of cooked rice, white or brown
- 8oz mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped, about a cup
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can of tomato sauce, divided
- ½ teaspoon of salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons of Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a medium casserole dish.
- If you haven’t already done so, go ahead and cook the lentils and rice.
- In a large skillet, heat the the oil over medium heat. Once hot, add in the onion, garlic, and mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add in the zucchini, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and 3/4 of the tomato sauce (setting the rest aside for topping later). Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Cooke for 3 additional minutes and then remove from the heat.
- Mix in the cooked rice and lentils until fully combined.
- Remove the seeds and white bits from your bell peppers and place them in your greased baking dish. Stuff the peppers evenly with the veggie/ rice mixture and top evenly with the remaining tomato sauce.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Let cool slightly and ENJOY!
*Many stores sell pre-cooked lentils and I love those in this dish for the ease of cooking!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: stuffed peppers, vegan stuffed peppers, stuffed bell peppers