- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1 cup of vegan butter, softened
- 1/4 cup of almond milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Optional for topping: vegan frosting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer on medium speed (or using a hand mixer)beat together the sugars, vegan butter, almond milk, and vanilla extract.
- Beat in the remaining ingredients until just combined. Cover and let the cookie dough sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours or even overnight.
- When ready to bake, pre-heat to oven to 375 degrees F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicon mat.
- Generously flour your working surface as well as your rolling pin and cookie cutters. If the dough seems a bit sticky on the outside, gently pat it with a little flour and continue to do so while you roll it out if sticky areas are exposed.
- Working in about 2 sections, roll the dough out to about 1/4 in thickness and cut out your cookie shapes and place them on your baking trays. Leave about an inch and a half between each cookie.
- Repeat until all of the dough is used. (side note: I baked the cookies in 2 batches and end up with 4-5 baking trays of cookies. This depends on the size of your baking trays.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes, taking the cookies out of the oven just when the edges begin to brown. Put the cookies on a cooling rack and let cool before putting icing on.
Adapted from here