Easy and delicious sweet potato pie that’s fully vegan and simple to make!
For the crust:
- 1 1/4 cups of flour (156 grams)
- 1/2 cup of vegan butter, diced into 1/2 inch cubes and chilled*
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of ice water, plus more as needed
For the filling:
- 2 1/2 cups of sweet potato puree* (from about 2 medium sweet potatoes)
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup or agave
- 1 cup of milk (I typically make mine with plain almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of dried ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon of all spice
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- In the bowl of a food processor*, combine the flour, salt, and sugar. Pulse a few times to combine. Add in HALF of the cold butter cubes and pulse a few more times. Add in remaining butter and pulse a few additional times so that the butter is roughly the size of peas.
- Add in the cold water, starting with just 4 tablespoons, and pulse 2 times. Add in 2 more and pulse a couple more times. Test out the dough by pressing some together between your fingers. If it holds together then it’s ready. If it’s still really crumbly then add in more water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Mine is always perfect with 6 total tablespoons but you may need a little more less.
- On a lightly floured surface, pour out the dough and work it so that it’s mostly pressed together. Split it in half evenly and form 2 discs with the dough. Wrap the discs individually in plastic wrap and CHILL for 1 hour or up to 2 days. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9” pie pan.
- When ready to use the dough, let it sit on the counter for about 10 minutes to warm up a bit. If you’re making a double crust pie, I like to roll out the bottom crust and let it sit in the fridge chilling while I roll out the top crust.
- To make things easier, roll the dough out on a floured piece of parchment paper using a floured rolling pin. It will likely be very crumbly at first but work it with your hands a few times so that it’s pliable and easy to roll out. Roll it out so that it will fit in your pie dish with about 1/2 an inch hanging over. Place it in your greased pie dish (a standard 9″ pie dish is perfect) and proceed with your pie recipe!
- In a high speed blender or food processor, combine all of the pie ingredients and blend until creamy and smooth. Should only take a minute.
- Pour the pie filling into your crust (I do NOT pre-bake the crust in this recipe) and spread out until it’s smooth.
- Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes. The top should be firm and the crust should be lightly browned around the edges. If the crust begins to get too brown around the edges, cover the crust with foil or use pie protectors.
- Once done, take out of the oven and let cool on the counter. Put in the fridge and let cool completely.
*I chopped up 2 medium peeled sweet potatoes into large chunks and cooked them in boiling water until soft and very fork tender. You can cook them whole in the oven if you prefer. Once cooked and lightly cooled, puree the flesh of the sweet potato in a blender or food processor until smooth and no lumps remain. Measure out 2 ½ cups of the puree for this recipe.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan pie, vegan dessert,