These Vegan Valentine’s Day Cookies are simple to make and the prefect gift for your someone special :)
For the cookies:
- ½ cup (1 stick) vegan butter, room temperature
- ½ cup of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of plant based milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract (optional but highly recommended)
- red food coloring as desired. I used about 5 drops but every food coloring is different so do what feels right
- 2 cups all purpose flour (+ more for rolling out).
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
For the cookies frosting:
- 3 tablespoons of vegan butter, softened
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons of plant-milk
- 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract
- food coloring as desired (I used about 2 crops of red to get a pale pink frosting)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Mix the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
- Beat the softened vegan butter and sugar together in a stand mixer or using an electric handheld mixer for 2 minutes or until it comes together. Scrape the sides of the bowl and beat again for another minute, until light and fluffy. Add in the almond milk, extracts, and food coloring and mix until combined.
- Slowly combine the dry with the wet and beat until a dough has formed – about 2-3 minutes of mixing. Do not over mix – once the dough comes together, it’s ready.
- Move the dough to a floured surface (or place it in between 2 pieces of parchment paper for easy rolling). Roll the dough out to 1/3 inch in thickness. Use a heart cookie cutter to cut out your cookies and carefully transfer them to a parchment lined cookie sheet, 1 inch between each cookie. Continue to re-roll the dough and cut out cookies until you have used all the dough.
- Place the tray in the fridge for 10 minutes. DO NOT skip this step as it’s crucial for the cookies to nicely maintain their shape. Bake straight from the fridge for 10-12 minutes, until slightly golden around the edges. Remove and allow to cool.
- Make the frosting by combining the butter and half of the powdered sugar in a stand mixer (or using a hand mixer) until just combined. Add the remaining powdered sugar as well as the milk, vanilla, almond extract, and food coloring. Continue to whisk until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Frost the cookies or pipe the frosting on in your desired design. ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: cookies
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan cookies, valentines day cookies, vegan valentines day cookies