These fluffy Vegan Waffles are easy to make and cook up perfectly crisp on the outside, soft on the inside, and filled with the most delicious buttery flavor! Enjoy these for a lazy weekend brunch or meal prep them for a ready-to-go weekday breakfast option. Add your favorite toppings and a drizzle of maple syrup for the perfect morning.
Flax Egg Substitute
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal/ ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons warm water
Vegan Buttermilk Substitute
- 2 cups dairy free milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed preferred
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Make the Flax Egg: Combine the ground flax seeds and water in a small bowl and set it aside until ready to use.
Make the Vegan Buttermilk: Combine the milk and lemon juice and in a small bowl and set it aside for five minutes.
Make the Waffles:
- Preheat your waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flax egg, vegan buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until combined– make sure not to over-mix! A few lumps are okay.
- Spray your waffle iron with nonstick spray and add enough batter to fill the waffle iron, leaving about 1” around the edge. In my 8” waffle iron, I use 1 cup of batter. Cook the batter until the waffle is golden brown and crisp around the edges– about 3 minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining waffles.
See notes above about freezing the waffles
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Waffle Iron
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan waffle, fluffy, easy