Vegetable Chow Mein is a flavorful Asian side dish or dinner. This easy recipe is vegan and made with tender chow mein noodles, plenty of colorful veggies and an irresistible sauce coating it all. A quick, easy-to-follow homemade version of the take out classic!
For the sauce–
- ½ cup of hot water
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons of hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons of cornstarch
- 1 ½ tablespoons of rice wine vinegar*
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar (can sub in coconut sugar or maple syrup)
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- Black pepper to taste
For the chow mein–
- 1 tablespoon of toasted sesame oil
- 1 cup of julienned carrots, about 2 medium carrots
- 1 cup of finely chopped broccoli
- ½ of a red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2–3 cups of Napa cabbage, finely shredded
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 oz chow mein noodles*
- Cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a bowl or measuring cup, whisk together all ingredients for the sauce.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet or wok, heat the sesame oil over medium heat. Once hot, add in the carrots, broccoli, bell pepper, and cabbage. Saute for 5 minutes. Add in the green onion and garlic and saute for 2 additional minutes.
- Add the sauce and noodles into the skillet and toss to combine. Continue to cook for about 2-3 minutes until the noodles are reheated and the sauce is thickened and beginning to coat the veggies and noodles.
- Remove from heat and ENJOY!
Rice Vinegar– this is most traditionally made with Chinese cooking wine (shaoxing wine) but I have a hard time finding that in my area. Feel free to use that in place of the vinegar if you have it.
Noodles- Check that the noodles you’re using are vegan, if that’s desired. When buying chow mein noodles, be sure that you’re getting noodles and not the chow mein crispy pieces that are confusingly called the same thing.
If you don’t see something labeled “chow mein” noodles, you can also look for/ use thin spaghetti or soba noodles.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: chow mein, vegetable chow mein, vegan chow mein