- 1 ½ pounds of russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 6 tablespoons of butter, divided
- 1 cup of parsnips, diced (can sub in more of the other veggies if you can’t find parsnips)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup of carrots, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of frozen corn
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons of fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme
- 1 cup of cooked lentils
- ¼ cup of milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water and sprinkle in a teaspoon of salt. Bring the water to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the potatoes are fork tender (about 20 minutes).
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add in the onion, parsnips, and carrots and saute for 8 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add in the corn, peas, rosemary, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, veggie broth, and tomato paste and stir to combine. Gently fold in the cooked lentils. Take off of the heat. If baking the pie in a separate dish (I made mine directly in the skillet used to cook the veggies), place the veggie mixture in the dish now.
- Once the potatoes are done, drain and add into a large bowl with 4 tablespoons of butter. Mash the potatoes until creamy and a few small chunks remain. Stir in the milk and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the mashed potatoes on top of the veggie mixture. Using a fork, rough up the potatoes a bit so that there are some peaks. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes and until the potatoes have started to brown a bit.
- If you want to get the top a bit browner, similar to in my photos, turn the oven to broil for a few minutes before taking it out of the oven. Watch it VERY closely as every broiler is different and it can burn quickly.
- Top with fresh herbs and ENJOY!
- Category: dinner
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegetarian, healthy, veggies, pie, savory