For the cake:
- 2/3 cup of superfine sugar
- 2/3 cup of unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 3 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups self-rising flour
- pinch of salt
- zest of 2 oranges
- zest of 1 large lemon
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup of water
- Juice and thinly sliced rind of 1 orange
- Juice and thinly sliced rind of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup of superfine sugar
- 2/3 cup of icing sugar
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and thoroughly butter a 1 pound loaf pan and then line it with parchment paper. Place a cookie sheet on the bottom rack of the oven (this prevents the bottom of the cake from over baking).
- In a stand mixer (or a bowl with electric whisk), cream the sugar and butter until pale and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating between each addition. Gently fold in the flour , a pinch of salt and the citrus zests until just combined.
- Pour the cake batter into your prepared loaf pan and bake for ~50 minutes. At around 30 minutes, check to see if things are going smoothly. Check again at 40 minutes. If they top begins to over-brown at all, place a sheet of aluminum foil over the loaf pan.
- You’ll know the cake if done when a toothpick can be inserted into the center of the cake and come out clean.
- Once done, leave the cake to cool while you prepare the topping: cut the lemon and orange rind into very thin strips. Add 1/2 cup of water and the superfine sugar to a saucepan over a low heat, stir gently until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil then add the rind to the pan, reserve a few strips of rind for decoration if you wish. Cook for about 5 minutes until a syrup forms and the rind is translucent.
- Brush the syrup over the still-warm cake and set aside to cool completely. When the cake is completely cold, remove it from the tin.
- To make the icing, mix the citrus juices. Mix the icing sugar with JUST enough juice (start with a couple teaspoons) to make a thin icing. Drizzle the icing over the cooled cake and finish with a few thin strips of citrus rind.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes