- 1 ear of corn, grilled or baked (could also use 1 can of sweet corn instead)
- 2 cups of uncooked rice, I use white but brown will also work just fine
- 1/2 cup of cilantro, chopped. plus extra for topping
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- half of a red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon of oil (I typically use olive oil or coconut oil)
- 1/2 teaspoons of oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 can of black beans, drained and well rinsed
- 2 cups of thinly sliced leaf lettuce
- optional for topping: guacamole, pico de gayo, vegan sour cream, vegan cheese, wedges of lime,
- If using fresh corn, pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and bake the cob of corn for 20 minutes. Once it’s out of the oven and cooled, cut the corn from the cob.
- While the corn bakes, cook the rice according to directions. I cook mine in a rice cooker.
- When the rice and corn only have 10 minutes left, begin sautéing the veggies. In a skillet, combine the oil, peppers, and onion. Saute for 5 minutes and then stir in the spices. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. If/ when the pan gets a little dry, you can add in more oil OR simply add in a bit of water (about 1 tablespoon at a time).
- Once done, mix into the rice the cilantro, lime juice and zest, and a pinch of salt if desired (can also add a bit more salt). Stir until fully combined.
- Assemble the bowls by first dividing the rice among 4 bowls (for 2 people, this makes a great dinner with leftovers for lunch!), top with the veggies then the black beans and then sprinkle on the corn and other toppings.
- Serving Size: 4 servings