- 1 pound of butternut squash, cut into small bite sized pieces
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ⅓ cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 8 cups of chopped kale, loosely packed, about 1 large bunch
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- To roast the butternut squash, heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the squash on a large baking sheet and toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Roast for 15-20 minutes, tossing halfway through. It is done once fork tender
- To make the dressing, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Once hot, add in the onion and saute for about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic, salt and maple syrup and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Transfer the onion mixture to a blender, add in the balsamic vinegar, and blend until mostly smooth.
- Add the chopped kale to a large bowl, pour the dressing over top, and massage the dressing into the kale. Massage for a couple of minutes until all of the kale is coated with the dressing and a rich dark green color. Do not skip the massage! It makes the kale much softer and a lot tastier.
- Gently toss in the butternut squash, pine nuts, and goat cheese. Serve immediately and ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: salad
- Method: cooking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: salad, butternut squash, healthy, dinner