Vegan Chow Mein
**UPDATE: this recipe now has a fun little recipe video to go with the post. Give it a watch and enjoy :) Oh, and don’t forget to subscribe to my Youtube channel. Please? ????
The other night as I was preparing for the week, I made a long list of all the things that I needed to get done over the next 7 days. I can be forgetful so I’ve found that it helps if I write everything down including the kind of obvious things like “write my blog posts”. This morning as I was looking at the list and crossing the very few things off that I have accomplished, I realized that there’s simply not enough days in the week.
I then figured that I should prioritize the list but that doesn’t do much good either because it seems like every last thing on the list is important. And, so is life, I suppose. I’m not really sure how people do this AND have multiple kids. <<< that truly blows my mind.
Anyways, I’m kind of rambling. And speaking of which, I’ve been making a conscious effort lately to keep my blog posts more concise and to the point with only a minimal amount of aimless chatting at the beginning :) Also, I’m trying to cut back a tiny bit on the amount of photos in each post. While the photography is arguably my favorite part of this whole process, I’m not 100% sure that you need to see the same dish but from 800 different angles, amiright?
SO, this Vegan Chow Mein: It’s amazing! That’s all you really need to know. It’s also SUPER easy to make which is a huge bonus in my busy book.
Traditional Chow Mein has a lot more oil in it than this recipe but I’m really trying to cut back on unnecessary oil consumption these days. But, feel free to add in a bit more if you so desire :)
Chopping up the carrots and broccoli is the most effort that this recipe takes. The noodles are cooked and set aside while the veggies sauté in a yummy sauce for a few minutes. The noodles are then tossed into the veggies and you’re pretty much done!
All that’s left to do is stuff your face :D
Recipe HERE for the crispy tofu (<<<do it! It’s SO yummy!)Print
- 14 ounces of chow mein noodles
- 2 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 1 cup of thinly sliced carrots (can also used shredded carrots)
- 1 cup of snow peas
- 8-10 ounces of broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup of cashews, lightly chopped
- 1 tablespoon of freshly grated ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/3 cup of soy sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons of sesame seeds (I used regular and black)
- optional: 1 serving of Crispy Tofu (link above)
- Prep the noodles according to the packaging. Once drained, set aside to cool slightly.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Add in the carrots, peas, broccoli, ginger, and cashews. Cook, stirring frequently, for 8-10 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, soy sauce, and sesame seeds as well as the noodles. Toss to coat thoroughly untill all of the noodles are lightly covered in the sauce.
- Cook for an additional 5 minutes and then remove from the heat. If adding in the crispy tofu, do so at this time.
- Serve and ENJOY!