Vegan Tater Tot Casserole
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Comfort food at it’s FINEST, this Vegan Tater Tot Casserole comes together in ONE PAN and makes for a delicious, meat free meal! I’ve been so excited to share this recipe and I know you’re going to love it!
I’m excited to be partnering up with Sweet Earth again as they’re one of my all time favorite plant based food companies! They recently released a new line of plant based protein grounds and I’m legit obsessed with them.
This is my FORTH time working with Sweet Earth and I hope that says something about how much I love the company AND their products. I’ve been a consumer of theirs for many years and it’s always a dream to work with a brand that I love so much.
I think that today’s recipe is my favorite Sweet Earth partnership thus far! You’re going to LOVE this tater tot casserole SO MUCH!
As I do with many of my vegan recipes, I tried to keep this as close to the original as possible while still keeping it completely free of animal products. Instead of beef, we’re using the Sweet Earth Awesome Grounds and instead of cream of mushroom soup, we’re making our own vegan version (it’s super easy, I promise!).
One of the many reasons that I love the Awesome Grounds so much is that you can use them in the same way that you would have used other ground meat. As burger meat (although Sweet Earth already has some amazing Awesome Burgers you should try as well!), in a bolognese sauce with spaghetti, as tacos. So many delicious options!
Each serving of the grounds has 16g of protein (derived from pea protein which I LOVE), 4g of fiber, and is completely plant based.
I also debated adding some additional veggies in this such as carrot and celery. And while I think those would be delicious, I decided to keep this super simple. But feel free to add them in in you want some extra veg in there.
The other thing that I love so much about this recipe is that it comes together ALL in one skillet. The veggies + grounds get cooked in the skillet and once everything is mixed together and ready, the frozen tater tots get added right on top. It’s then baked in the oven just long enough to get the tots nice and crispy before it’s ready to eat!
I’m really excited for y’all to try this recipe because I know you’re going to love it!!
See how to make the tater tot casserole here:
Thank you to Sweet Earth for sponsoring this post and thank YOU for supporting the brands that make Food with Feeling possible!Print
Easy and delicious Vegan Tater Tot Casserole!
- 12 ounces of Sweet Earth Awesome Grounds
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons of vegan butter
- 1 ½ cups of sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup of onion, finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- ¾ cup of plant based milk
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce*
- 2lb bag of tater tots
- Parsley for topping
- Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium, heat your oil. Once hot, add in the Awesome grounds and cook according to package instructions until fully cooked. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet (no need to clean it), melt the butter. Add in the mushroom, onion, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and cook until the mushrooms begin to soften, about 6 minutes. Add in garlic and cook for 2 additional minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour, stirring constantly, and cook for one additional minute. Slowly pour in the broth and then the milk, stirring the whole time. Stir in the soy sauce and worcestershire sauce. Simmer until thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the Awesome Grounds until fully incorporated and then spread the mixture even in the pan. Top with the tater tots. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until tater tots are starting to turn a golden brown (everything else is cooked so we’re simply trying to crisp up the tater tots!).
- Let cool slightly, serve, and ENJOY!
*Not all Worcestershire sauces are vegan so check the label. If you can’t find a vegan variety, you can sub it for more soy sauce
- Category: dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: tater tot casserole, vegetarian casserole, vegan casserole