Vegan Corn Chowder
Yes, I know that it’s almost September and these days, that means pumpkin spice flavored everything is everywhere and summer is supposed to be barely visible in the rear view mirror. HOWEVER, summer is NOT over and you can’t make me let it go. I still have summer squash growing in the garden and summer veggies are still readily available at the farmer’s market. So. Yea. We’re doing this Vegan Corn Chowder today because it’s AMAZING and so super simple and the perfect way to embrace the last few days of summer.
Also, hello: soup. It’s like we’re transitioning our way into fall by using summer veggies to create an autumn-ish meal (soup…that’s autumn-ish, right?).
This soup is a classic case of “it isn’t the prettiest dish on the interwbs but it SURE is tasty!”. I attribute the tastiness mostly to the SWEET sweet corn. During the summer, I find myself putting sweet corn on ALL the things. I can’t get enough of it. During the winter, I still eat a decent amount of corn but it’s from a can and simply not as good as the stuff you can get right now. Moral of the story: savor all the summer veggies while you still can!
I also really like this soup because it’s super easy to make. Throw some stuff in a pot, cook for a few minutes. Throw some more stuff in the pot, cook for a few minutes. Throw a few more stuff in there, finish cooking. Eat. <<<<my kind of meal! I really wanted a creamy soup so I blended up a bit of the soup using my immersion blender. However, you could skip this part if you’re okay with a chunkier, slightly less creamy soup.
I’ve tried it both ways and both ways are delicious!
I hope that you have a wonderful Monday and keep embracing these final days of summer! That being said- don’t worry…I’m working on LOTS of butternut squash and pumpkin and apple recipes that will be coming VERY soon!Print
- 1 bell pepper (I used red for color and sweetness), finely chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 2 ribs of celery, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 5 cups of vegetable broth (I use this vegetable broth base and love it)
- 3 small golden potatoes (mine equaled about 2/3 of a pound), peeled (optional) chopped into small cubes
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 6 medium ears of corn, removed from the cob
- 1 medium zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 13.5 oz can of coconut milk (I used full fat but you could use light or even something like Silk coconut milk)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- topping: chives and/ or fresh herbs (I used parsley)
- To a large pot, add in the bell pepper, onion, carrots, and celery as well as about 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Saute the veggies for 8-10 minutes or until the onion starts to turn translucent.
- Add in the broth, potatoes, and thyme sprigs. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook, covered, for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are just tender.
- Add in the corn and zucchini and simmer, uncovered, for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove the thyme sprigs (if you can find all of them). :)
- Optional: transfer 2 cups of the mixture to a food processor or blender (or you can also use an immersion blender) and blend until creamy. Return to pot with remaining soup.
- Add in the coconut milk, salt and pepper, and stir.
- Top with fresh herbs and chives (optional) and ENJOY!!
Adapted from http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/corn-chowder-232298